David O’ Doherty: Whimsy, Musical and Unoffensive.

David O’ Doherty is an Irish comedian whose uniqueness revolves around his use of tiny keyboards.

He has had a six episode series aired on Republic of Ireland Television, released a number of albums, performs shows regularly and had a top 30 single in the Irish charts titled ‘Orange’.

I had been considering using music in my Stand-Up routine and David O’ Doherty’s compositions and performance style in general has an innocence and less interactive style than some Stand-Up comedians. This step away from the conventional or expected performance style of a Stand-Up comic is refreshing and interesting. I find David O’ Doherty’s use of music interesting because its intentionally poor quality sound is suited to his light-hearted observasions when he is performing Stand-Up comedy without his keyboard.

If the use of music does not become a part of my final show I do feel that David O’ Doherty’s timing constricted to the rhythm of his songs but purposefully abandoning that rhythm at times is a useful consideration for comic timing in general.

I also think that the consciousness of the lighting state in his performance in Melbourne is an interesting subversion of musical performances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tho9uuepzO0